Redheads is an iconic Australian top-selling brand of matches originally manufactured in Victoria by Bryant & May match factory at Church Street, Richmond.
- The factory was opened in 1909 by The Honourable Alfred Deakin, Prime Minister of Australia.
- The Redhead name applies to the red striking heads of the matches which were introduced to Australia in 1946.
- The Redhead image or logo on the matchbox cover depicts the head and shoulder of a red-headed woman.
- This image has had four major updates since its inception with a number of special issues produced.
The pop art-like design has been imitated and reproduced to form collages and memorabilia art works presented in an Andy Warhol influential pop-art style.
- Redheads matches are now manufactured in Sweden by Swedish Match.
Strike a Light!
“Is It Art?”