Victorian Heidelberg School artist and sculptor, Charles Douglas Richardson (7 July 1853 – 15 October 1932) trained at the Artisans School of Design, Trades Hall and the National Gallery School, both in Melbourne; before he began studies at the Royal Academy School in London. During this time he shared studios with fellow Melburnians, Tom Roberts and Bertram Mackennal.
Richardson was one of the most gifted sculptors working in Australia ca. 1900. His cast ‘The Cloud”, a bronze nude female sculpture, consists of a 167cm life-size bronze casting which was unfortunately damaged after it was exhibited at the Ballarat Art Gallery in 1977.
- The current bronze cast (1986) stands in the centre of a lily pond as part of the Bayside Town Hall gardens which was originally planned for the City’s Centenary Celebrations in 1934; before the plans were scrapped. However, 52 years later, ‘The Cloud’ finally lifted and the statue emerged.
“Is It Art?”