The simplest way is to rig the masts of the ship and raise it up when the ship is inside the bottle.
- Masts, spars, and sails are built separately and then attached to the hull of the ship with strings and hinges so the masts can lie flat against the deck.
- The ship is then placed inside the bottle and the masts are pulled up using the strings attached to the masts.
- The hull of the ship must still be able to fit through the opening.
- Bottles with minor distortions and soft tints are often chosen to hide the small details of the ship such as hinges on the masts.
- Alternatively, with specialized long-handled tools, it is possible to build the ship inside the bottle.